Nottingham City Council introduced Selective Licensing in 2018 which covers 90% of homes in the private rental sector within the city boundary.

A licence is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT for EACH property a Landlord owns within the Nottingham City catchment area. You can check whether your property is covered by the proposed licence scheme through the Nottingham City Council website by using the following link:

From 1st April 2020, the cost of a licence is £890 per property, reducing to £670 for accredited Landlords. A licence will last up to for 5 years and the licence fee will need to be paid at the outset of the licence period. The licence fee is paid in two parts; the first payment of £520 (£485 for accredited Landlords) is paid on submission of the licence application and a second amount of £370 (£185 for accredited Landlords) is payable once a licence has been granted.

There are licence conditions that the council expect licence holders to take responsibility for. Here at David James, we can handle these licence conditions on your behalf through our comprehensive property management service.  If you currently manage your own property and are concerned about the obligations Selective Licensing place upon you, or if your current managing agent is not living up to expectations, then contact our Director James Roys to discuss matters further. 

To help you understand Selective Licensing a little further, we have put together the sections below which should answer many of your questions:

Who do the council define as an accredited landlord?

You will not need to hold accreditation to be able to apply for a license, however Landlords who obtain accreditation will receive a discount on their license fee. Unfortunately, using a reputable managing agent like David James to look after your property is not viewed as accreditation in the eyes of the local authority or warrants a discount on the licensing fee.

Nottingham City Council have for some time been running a voluntary accreditation scheme through organisations DASH and UNIPOL. The DASH scheme covers the private rental sector with UNIPOL covering student properties. Any Landlord can apply to sign up with DASH for accreditation, however they must abide by a set of regulations known as the ‘Nottingham Standard.’ These regulations cover more than basic legal requirements and even the additional requirements stated within the Selective Licensing legislation. The ‘Nottingham Standard’ regulations extend (but aren’t limited to) areas such as a minimum number of power points in certain rooms within the household, mains operated fire and heat detectors and minimum rooms sizes for occupation.

The cost of DASH accreditation is £95 + VAT and lasts for three years, with a renewal fee of £45 + VAT. This covers a Landlord for up to five properties which is a cost saving for multiple property Landlords as they will not need to pay an accreditation fee for each property. However, please note that DASH accreditation is necessary for the duration of your local authority licence and therefore single property Landlords will need to pay £140 + VAT (£168 including VAT) for both the sign-up fee and renewal to save £52 (after VAT) on their licence fee over the five-year period.

Whilst we applaud DASH for their attempts to improve the condition of properties in the private rental sector, Landlords need to be aware that their properties may require extensive and costly remedial works to ensure they meet the ‘Nottingham Standard’ and therefore any perceived savings on licensing by signing up to DASH accreditation could be consumed in bringing their rental properties up to DASH’s higher standards of habitation.

What do I need to be able to obtain a license?

In addition to paying the five-year licence fee per property, a Landlord will have to complete a detailed online application form for each property they own within the catchment area. Nottingham City Council have stipulated that each property application must be supplemented by:

  • Evidence of sufficient landlord insurance for the property

    Landlord insurance which states the property is designated as a buy-to-let and that there is sufficient public liability cover. 

  • Proof of right to reside (to live) in the UK for the proposed licence holder

    Proof of right to live in the UK for the proposed licence holder and the proposed manager where these are people; If the proposed licence holder or manager is a company then this will not need to be provided.

  • Evidence of relevant training (if undertaken) by proposed licence holder

    If you have undertaken relevant landlord training in the last 3 years please provide evidence of this. If training has not been undertaken it will be a condition of the license that training is undertaken within 12 months of the license being granted. 

  • A valid, in date, satisfactory Gas Safety certificate (If there are gas appliances in the property) 
  • A valid, in date, Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property

  • Most recent portable appliance test (PAT) certificate

    If a Landlord has chosen to leave electrical appliances in the property, these will need to be subject to a portable appliance test. Nottingham City Council have confirmed to us on the 1st June 2018 that large freestanding kitchen appliances such as a washing machine, fridge/freezer, dishwasher or cooker are not classed as portable appliances so will not need to be tested. 

  • Building regulations completion certificate and planning consents (If applicable)

Please note that the information above is taken directly from the Nottingham City Council website

How much are all these things likely to cost?

In addition to the cost of the licence itself, Landlords should consider the following items and their associated costs:

  • A valid, in date, satisfactory Gas Safety certificate

    If your property is rented and has a gas supply you will already hold a gas safety certificate, which is renewed annually as per legal requirements. A gas safety certificate is £60.00 + VAT (£72.00 including VAT) and covers the cost of one gas appliance within the property. Any additional appliances are charged at an additional rate of £10.00 + VAT (£12.00 including VAT)

  • Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property

    Every property that has been let by an agent should hold a valid EPC. However it is worth noting that an EPC has a 10-year lifespan and given that they came into force in October 2008, EPCs will begin to expire from later this year. We will of course let you know as and when your EPC becomes close to the end of it’s lifespan. An EPC costs £62.50 + VAT (£75.00 including VAT). We are also currently seeking clarification from the local authority as to whether the EPC needs to be valid for the entirety of the license period.

  • Most recent portable appliance test (PAT) certificate

    If a Landlord has supplied portable electrical appliances, they will need to be annually PAT tested by a competent person. Costs on PAT testing vary dependant on the number of appliances being tested. We can put a bespoke quote together for your property, likely to be between £40 - £50 plus VAT. PLEASE NOTE Nottingham City Council have confirmed to us on the 1st June 2018 that large freestanding kitchen appliances such as a washing machine, fridge/freezer, dishwasher or cooker are not classed as portable appliances. 

What else do I need to know ?

There are clearly lots of questions, however below are some pertinent questions and answers taken from the local authority’s FAQ’s document:

  • Do I need to tell others, like my mortgage provider, about my licence application?

    Licences are legally enforceable and may require changes to the house. People with a legal interest in the property have a statutory right to know how the licence may affect them. This would include mortgage companies, other owners, managers, leaseholders, freeholders etc.

  • Will there be a discount for multiple applications from the same landlord?

    No, it is proposed that there will the same fee for landlords despite how many properties they have. Should a landlord have a number of self-contained properties within the same development (such as a number of apartments in a block) they may be able to apply for a block licence which could work out cheaper. 

  • Is the fee refundable if the property is sold within 5 years?

    The Council will only give a refund if a duplicate application has been made or an application has been made for an exempted property by mistake.

  • I am selling a Licensed house, what do I need to do?

    Licences are non-transferable. When you sell a licensed house you must inform the Council that you have done so because the new owner will need to apply for a Licence if they are also intending to rent it out.

  • Is the licence fee tax deductible?

    The Council understands that the fee is tax deductible as an expense in running the business, however it is recommended that landlords receive independent financial and legal advice on this. Managing agents and / or professional bodies may also be able to advise on this matter.

  • What happens if I do not comply with the licence conditions?

    You run the risk of prosecution and a possible unlimited fine. The Council can now issue financial penalties of up to £30,000 for certain offences under the Housing Act 2004. This would be instead of prosecution. It may also affect your 'fit and proper' status and your licences will most likely be revoked.

  • What if I don't live in the UK?

    The council have also stated that license holders must reside within the UK. Should you live abroad, you will have to nominate someone living within the UK to be the license holder. If this presents an issue, please contact us at the earliest opportunity to discuss this matter further.

How can David James help?

We have held extensive dialogue with the local authority and other industry bodies in preparing our Landlords for this scheme. We have been informed that the process submitting a license application is time-consuming as is ensuring all properties are compliant and collating all the necessary information for an application. For existing Landlords, or those moving to our management, we charge an administration fee of £60 inc. VAT (£50 plus VAT) for each licence application that we collate and submit. If we do not manage your property and you require us to submit an application on your behalf, we can carry out this service for you. Please contact our team who will be happy to provide a list of all documents and certification we require in order to submit an application on your behalf. 

Should you have any questions or concerns about Selective Licensing, please get in touch with our Director, James Roys to arrange a meeting.

Property Valuation

Value my Property

Click below to book a free, no obligation market appraisal of your home. An experienced member of our team will provide you with a current market appraisal and also advice on the best way to sell your home in the current marketplace.

Get a property valuation now
Property Valuation

Report a Maintenance Enquiry

Using our online reporting system, you can let us know about any maintenance query 24-hours a day. Our intuitive system also allows you to upload photographs to help provide us with more information to speed us diagnosis and resolution of any problems that occur.

Report a maintenance problem

Search for a property

Value my property

I agree to the terms & conditions stated in the Privacy Policy.

David James are members of NAEA and ARLA Propertymark which means we meet higher industry standards than the law demands.

Our experts undertake regular training to ensure they are up to date with best practice and complex legislative changes so that they can offer you the best advice. We are also backed by a Client Money Protection scheme, which guarantees that your money is protected. We are also voluntary members of both SafeAgent and the Property Ombudsman ensuring we offer our clients full protection and redress in every aspect of what we do.