Originally a small rural village, Calverton greatly expanded after the opening of Calverton Colliery in 1952, at which point the village began to assume its present identity, with new housing estates and a marked population growth. The colliery closed in 1999 but Calverton remains a busy village.
While a small industrial estate provides some local employment, Calverton has taken on the character of a large commuter village sitting around seven miles north-east of Nottingham.
The A614 runs along the outskirts of the village which provide links to both Arnold Town Centre and in turn Nottingham City Centre. The village is also conveniently situated for access to the A60 which provides a route to Mansfield. The Calverton Connection bus runs to Nottingham City Centre regularly during the daytime.
Surrounding Calverton is Woodborough, to the south-east, Arnold, Papplewick and Ravenshead to the South-West, Blidworth to the North, and Oxton and Epperstone to the north-east. The Village’s location means it borders open countryside with Ramsdale Golf Course tucked away at the outskirts of the village.
Amenities include St Wilfrids shopping parade in addition to pubs and restaurants.