The popular village of Gedling dates back to Saxon times. During the twentieth century, the village expanded into the surrounding area due to the workings of the local colliery which opened in 1899. The Colliery produced over a million tonnes of coal per year in the 1960s before closing in 1991. The site was later opened as the 240-acre Gedling Country Park in 2015 which enjoys stunning views over Gedling. From its highest point there are views across Nottinghamshire and into neighbouring Lincolnshire and Leicestershire and on a clear day it is possible to see as far as Belvoir Castle and Lincoln Cathedral. There are a number of paths that weave their way through the woodlands and grasslands that make up the flora and fauna within the country park.
Despite being a fairly small place, Gedling gives its name to the local borough council which has its offices in nearby Arnold, and also to the local parliamentary constituency, which covers the suburbs to the east of Nottingham, including Arnold and Carlton. The older part of the village is dominated by All Hallows Church and Memorial Hall which dates from the 11th century, with the oldest part of the church (the entrance) dating back to 1089 – although there have been four other churches on this site, the oldest dating back to the year 678AD.
There are a number of independent stores and beauty salons on Gedling Road with a good selection of takeaways also serving the area. Gedling is served by a Co-op and Sainsbury’s Local for shopping provisions. Village pubs are the Gedling Inn and The Willowbrook on Main Road.
Gedling is approximately four miles northeast and a 15 minute drive from the city centre with Nottingham City Transport’s Red and Sky Blue lines travelling through the area. There are transport links to Arnold, Daybrook, Sneinton, Netherfield, Carlton, Burton Joyce and Lowdham. The local primary schools include All Hallows and Willow Farm and the local secondary school is the Carlton le Willows Academy.